Vision and purpose
Living and breathing excellence distinguishes us in sport and active healthy living. Engage. Empower. Inspire. Deliver.
Vikes Summer Camps
Vikes Summer Camps seek personable, passionate, responsible and caring team members to deliver a wide variety of quality sport, outdoor and recreation camps. We provide high quality, fun, safe and positive experiences for all participants.
Key responsibilities and duties
Under the direction of the Camps Programmers and Assistants.
- Ensure the safety and supervision of camp participants ages 5-18 years of age
- Assist with planning and organizing activity schedules and activities
- Assist in monitoring daily attendance, medical information forms, equipment and supply needs
- Lead a variety of games, sports, outdoor activities, out trips, theme activities and pool activities
- Develop, deliver and maintain a positive camp atmosphere
- Maintain an exceptional level of confidentiality
- Assist in the supervision and evaluation of camp programs, junior leaders and volunteers
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude with staff, participants and parents at all times
Successful applicants must complete a criminal record check before employment commences.
- Valid Standard First Aid & CPR -C
- Experience working with children in a summer camp or child/youth program environment
- Ability to work as part of a successful and engaged team
- Commitment to service excellence
- Coaching or instructor experience would be an asset
- Program planning experience would be an asset
- HIGH FIVE PHCD or HIGH FIVE Sport an asset
- Craft or art instructor experience an asset
- Indoor climbing belaying experience and orienteering knowledge would be an asset
Speciality camp qualification
- Tennis, Squash and/or Badminton Instructor Level I (for tennis and racquet sport camps)
- Dance instructor experience (for dance camp)
- Fitness and/or yoga teacher certification (for health & fitness and yoga camps)
Applicants must be reliable, mature, motivated, have experience organizing and delivering children’s activities and demonstrate a commitment to quality and excellence.
Vikes Summer Camps
Mini Vikes Full Day and Half Day Camps (ages 5‐7)
Campers explore a variety of activities including games, stories, arts and craft projects and instruction in sports and physical activity with a focus on skill development and fun.
Vikes Sports Camps (ages 6‐12)
Vikes Sport campers will enjoy a jam-packed week of all kinds of sports, which could include: basketball, soccer, touch rugby, squash, tennis, and volleyball to name a few!
Vikes Kids Camps (ages 8‐12)
Activities include art projects, interactive games, scavenger hunts, science experiments, beach trips and exploring the UVic campus.
• Ball Hockey Camps (ages 8‐9 and 10-12)
Suited to the camper who loves hockey and wants to learn the skills that go with ball hockey. The mornings are spent learning skills and drills and the afternoon consist of games.
Tennis Camps (ages 8‐14)
Participants develop fundamental game skills and the technical and tactical aspects of the game. Other games/activities are scheduled to ensure a healthy balance of play and skill development.
Racquet Sports Camps (ages 8‐13)
Participants develop skills and learn the rules of play in tennis, badminton, squash and table tennis.
Girl Power Camps (ages 11‐13)
Girl Power brings girls together to participate in a week full of team building, leadership development and health and fitness activities.
Dance Camps (ages 10‐13)
Dance camp is geared for children who are interested in learning various forms of dance; hip hop, jazz, musical theatre and cultural dances to name a few!
Health/Fitness Camps (ages 10‐13)
Participants will have the opportunity to learn from instructors in a variety of different health and fitness activities (such as pilates, bootcamp, spin, yoga, stretching etc). The focus will be on learning new skills and having fun (while being active)!
Yoga Camps (ages 7-10, 10‐13)
Campers will experience a wonderful introduction to the practise of yoga through games, music and fun yoga poses while learning about mindfulness, relaxation and breath.
Volleyball Camps (Beach) (ages 10‐13)
Designed for the middle school aged participant wanting to develop skills and strategies in a fun and challenging environment.
Youth Leadership Development (ages 14‐18)
Our leadership program provides youth an opportunity to acquire training certifications, expand their leadership skills and gain valuable experience working with children.
Terms of employment
Wage: $18/hour + 4% in lieu of benefits
Wages for specialty camps (ie. racquet sports, tennis, yoga, dance, health & fitness camps) may be higher based on certifications.
Hours of Work: Monday–Friday, up to 38 hrs/per week*
*Hours and weeks of work dependant on camp registration.
Commitment to work: July 4–September 2, 2022 (mandatory training week June 20–24 2022)
*** Please note: All summer camp hirings for 2022 are contingent on COVID-19 BC Public Health Guidelines enabling our summer camp program to safely open and operate.
To submit your application package please include the following:
- cover letter
*Please ensure to include all relevant certification, skills and experience in your application, along with at least two applicable references with contact information.
E-mail it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications is 4:30pm on Friday April 29th, 2022.
We thank all applicants in advance for their applications however, only those short-listed for an interview will be contacted.