Vision and purpose
Living and breathing excellence distinguishes us in sport and active healthy living. Engage. Empower. Inspire. Deliver.
Primarily responsible for monitoring the activities of patrons in and around the Vikes Athletics and Recreation McKinnon pool under minimum supervision.
Performs lifeguard duties as per training, ensuring the activities of patrons in and around the pool area comply with pool safety regulations.
- Is responsible to the Coordinator, Aquatics and Informal Recreation, or other designated classification.
- Supervises pool patrons during period of duty.
- Develops and maintains cooperative working relationships with all patrons of the swimming pool.
In addition, the position is responsible to provide superior customer service to students, staff, faculty and the University community.
Positions in this classification are normally filled on a casual, on-call basis, depending on scheduled use of the pool. Current University of Victoria students have preference.
- National Lifeguard Pool – current within two years
- Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification – current within two years
- Standard First Aid – current within three years
- CPR Level C – current within two years
- Aquatic fitness instruction and swim coaching is an asset, as well as other aquatic leadership awards.
- In accordance with the BC Criminal Record Review Act, must provide a current, clear criminal record check including a Vulnerable Persons Check.
- Preference given to current University of Victoria student (or student on break for the semester, returning to school the following semester).
- Ensures the safety and enjoyment of patrons by following and applying the rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures outlined by Vikes and the governing bodies for aquatic facilities.
- Performs lifesaving, resuscitation and first aid as required.
- Maintains pool and surrounding area free of hazards and in a safe, sanitary condition.
- May assist in draining, cleaning and filling the swimming pool, as well as other cleaning duties to create a welcoming safe environment.
- May conduct swimming evaluations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions accurately.
- Ability to enforce statutory and local rules and regulations governing public conduct at large pools.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Ability to instruct swimming classes.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with pool patrons.
- Ability to work any recognized shift including weekends.
- Demonstrated customer service abilities.
Terms of employment
Wage - $17.58/hour, plus 4% vacation pay and shift premiums.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Elliot Carter – Aquatic Coordinator
Vikes Athletics and Recreation, University of Victoria
This is an open posting with no closing date. Please submit your resume and cover letter as soon as possible.