Vision and purpose
Living and breathing excellence distinguishes us in sport and active healthy living. Engage. Empower. Inspire. Deliver.
Primary responsibility of a Climbing Wall Monitor is to monitor activities of personnel in and around the Vikes Athletics and Recreation CARSA climbing wall.
Under minimum supervision, performs climbing wall monitor duties ensuring the activities of personnel in and around the climbing wall area comply with climbing wall safety rules and regulations.
- Is responsible to the Coordinator, Climbing Wall or other designated classification.
- Supervises climbing wall users during period of duty.
- Develops and maintains cooperative working relationships with all users of the climbing wall.
In addition, with the emphasis on customer service, the position is responsible to provide superior customer service to students, staff, faculty and the University community.
Positions in this classification are normally filled on a temporary, part-time, on-call basis, depending on the scheduled use of the climbing wall.
Major responsibilities and duties
- Supervise and control the climbing wall and area activities of users, enforcing local rules and regulations.
- Respond to emergency situations.
- Maintain climbing wall and surrounding area free of hazards and in a safe, sanitary condition.
- Ensure users complete a waiver.
- Perform belay checks to ensure users' technique is correct.
- Provide climbing belay technique coaching.
- Under direction, assist with wall maintenance, tightening and placement of holds on wall up to a 3 meter height.
- Complete rental, leading and retail functions for designated equipment and supplies.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Ability to Top Rope climb at a 5.9 level and Lead climb at a 5.8 level indoors.
- Ability to coach correct belay technique.
- Ability to assist with wall maintenance, tightening and placement of holds on wall up to a 3 meter height.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions accurately.
- Ability to apply local climbing wall rules and regulations.
- Ability to work without supervision.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with climbing wall users.
- Basic key boarding and data entry skills for customer service transactions.
Specialized knowledge / education
- Minimum High School Graduation.
- Standard first aid certification.
- Knowledge of a variety of manufacturers’ correct belay technique.
- Climbing Gym Instructor level 1 certification is preferred.
- Must demonstrate climbing proficiency.
- Previous experience delivering a high level of service to customers.
- Climbing experience in 2 or more facilities.
- Experience in operation of automated Point Of Sale (POS) system.